Interstellar Movie Review | FILM

09:00


Recently I saw the film Interstellar, months after watching trailers and seeing posters everywhere. I actually said to my boyfriend that it felt weird not seeing an Interstellar trailer before the film, as it's the one I've seen most often. I'm going to try and keep this spoiler free however it's definitely not as in depth as I could go. Overall, I'm kind of a bit "meh" about Nolan, I think he is a great visionary director, and he does bring his ideas to life wonderfully, but just don't really like him in interviews, and think he knows he's good and can be a bit pretentious. That being said, let's move on...

Overall, I did enjoy Interstellar. I wouldn't say it's exactly worth all the hype and months of leading up to it, however I didn't not enjoy it. One thing Christopher Nolan does very well is family attachments. From the obvious family theme in the Dark Knight trilogy, with Batman losing his parents and Alfred as a paternal figure, to Inception with the underlying theme of his wife being in an alternative universe and the struggles along the way. This is no different with Interstellar, with one of the main themes being Matthew McConaughey's character Cooper, having to leave his son and daughter to save all of man kind. With each mission and the deeper into space he goes, he loses precious time, the first planet lasting two decades in Earth time where it's just two hours on another planet.

This time theme is a little overwhelming at first for me, and I struggled to just imagine how it works. I do, for another planet they visit has 67 hour days and 67 hour nights. It's just mind blowing how crazy space is. 

I think after a day or so thinking about my thoughts of the film, my main disappointment is how much the film explains itself through words. There are times when a scene just doesn't need explanation, and it's like they did it because they think the audience won't understand, however they would through subtext. For example, the main plot line is Earth's food is running out, due to drought and famine, and dust storms keep sweeping across the city. It's told like this throughout weirdly placed clips of people talking about the problem, and yet when they set of into space, there was no proper shot of Earth looking like it's dying out. You could have instead have a quick clip of Earth looking drier, and dust clouds across the planet, and cut down minutes of screen time. 

Another example is one of the pivotal scenes, being ruined by explanation, it's a surreal scene and you didn't need talking over it, it could have easily been worked out by the audience. Instead, my favourite scene is a less important one, yet heart breaking because you let the actors act, and while there's no talking, it's just the right amount.

Visually however, the film is stunning. You completely believe they are in space, the planets they visit are complicated and vast, the use of CGI is used only when needed and it shows.  Sound is used wonderfully, the soundtrack is brilliant and it's definitely going to win big for the technicalities of the film. The cast are brilliant, I adore Matthew McConaughey and so glad his time is here, I thought he'd shown his talent in Magic Mike (wink wink) but he's completely won audiences over, plus Anne Hathaway is grounded to the team and sort of a maternal figure in a way, she is more than just a "ask the questions the audience want to know" character. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if McConaughey is nominated again, although he only just won the oscar last year for Dallas Buyers Club

So yes, I would recommend seeing this film. It's a visual masterpiece, with emotional scenes intertwined with a story that will immerse you into the film. It does have it's flaws, but really, what film doesn't? 

★★★★☆

Have you seen Interstellar? What did you think?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe